Monday, December 12, 2005

Fishing Club Christmas Party - 10th December 2005

The fishing club Christmas party was held at the DBU on Saturday the 10th of December, and I think for perhaps the third time running I was invited to it. After a hectic day of running around getting ready for the SLAAPS Members’ Day the following day, plus a hair appointment at Salon Nayana in Bambalapitiya, where a person called Samantha proceeded to carefully ruin my hair, I was ready by evening, for once wearing a bad choice. The black strappy top I chose was a bit too glamorous for the occasion plus when I jived around the floor, I had to keep tugging at the top just in case it slipped out of place!!!!

They started off with items for the kiddies, they had musical chairs, and burst the balloon, pass the parcel and other little games for the kids. Somehow I couldn’t enjoy any of it, perhaps because Charmain also happened to mention that I should have worn something ‘more casual’ than the strappy top I was wearing with my black pants. Immediately I felt like an overdone Christmas tree, albeit in full black :(.

So a suggestion to see the upstairs of the DBU met with my first spark of enthusiasm for the evening. The lovely wooden stairway led up to the huge wooden floored, hall with a lovely wooden ceiling, where a bar stood in one corner, some pool tables in an alcove, and furnished with several groupings of comfortable chairs, even a dinning table with about six chairs (I think) around it. Little corner stools held tiny Christmas trees around the room while a recently bought stereo set provided background music. There was even a piano in the room, though pride of place was taken by a 10ft tall Christmas tree, beautifully decorated and lit up. That rather lit me up too for a little while.

Having admired it to my hearts content, we all trooped downstairs to literally ‘face the music’. There we sat, around the table, talking desultorily until I was saved by my phone ringing. Chandana! Thank goodness! It was so lovely to hear his voice. We chatted in our usual way about everything and everything, me giving him a very detailed description of exactly how bored I was and how sad I was to be missing the Miss World Contest that had gotten so much publicity in the recent past. I stayed on the phone for as long as I decently could, out on the lawn. I even called home, grumbled again, and then bravely went in again.

There was a little music for dancing provided by an atrocious singer and his band. Raffle tickets were sold, and Dorian bought me a set. He was lucky for the first time since I’ve met him I think. He won two gifts. One was a bottle of Scotch, and the other an intriguing looking parcel which we all took turns in guessing that it might hold some bottles of beer. Udesh and Chairmain also won a bottle of scotch I think and a bottle of Cinzano, while the other family at our table also won a bottle of wine. So it was quite a lucky table. Udesh’s son was also really sweet, romancing a little girl, and dancing absolutely stunningly. He will be a MAJOR heart-breaker given a couple of years!

The food was kinda ok though all the salads seemed to have gone off and the pinapple was bitter. There was of course my favourite chocolate mousse and some good caramel.

A bit more music and then it all wound up around 1.00 in the morning. People hung around talking a bit and then Udesh Chairman and their little son, who provided most of the entertainment for me for the evening, all dropped me home. Sadly enough I didn’t quite enjoy the event as much as I could have :(

No comments: