Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sri Lankan Airlines - for those deserving travellers!

The flight back from Malaysia was HORRIBLE. Too bad Sri Lankan Airlines for treating your clients as if they are a nuisance. My first grumble was that you could not summon the stewardesses. I tried the ‘stewardess’ button, but nothing worked. Then one gentleman a ahead of me called out ‘madam madam’ several times to be quite pointed ignored by the ‘hostess’. Desperately he stood up and beckoned her. This she could not ignore but came with raised eyebrows and a supercilious look on her face. Goodness, what has the hospitality trade come to? I don’t know what the gentleman needed, but he seemed to need it pretty desperately. I don’t think he should be judged by his nationality or dress. Too bad Sri Lankan Airlines too bad!

I also noticed a lady who wanted some water for her child. She kept pressing the ‘crew’ button, to no avail; she then started waving the feeding cup around hoping to gain attention. No such luck. Finally her husband stood up purposefully with the cup in his hand. Then and only then were they attended to. I think perhaps the white colour of his skin may have helped at that point, cos had it been an Asian I presume the gent would have had to find the water himself!

Requests for a drink of water and an extra bun met with cold indifference. Oh I was politely told they would be right back but they never were. Was it that they were understaffed???? Well, that certainly is not MY fault.

This is not the first time that I have experienced discrimination because I am a Sri Lankan flying Sri Lankan Airlines back to Colombo. For some reason the outgoing crew is always much much nicer and more ‘genuine’. I’m afraid I feel that the service of ‘Sri Lankan Airlines leaves rather a lot to be desired.

No comments: