Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Strange Meetings

On Saturday, the strangest thing happened. There was I feeling a bit blue and on my way to a SLAAPS meeting when the bus stopped at the halt after Ambagaha junction. Amongst the rush of people getting in, I noticed a lady who looked a bit like my Aunt Lotus, get in. I started to offer her my seat and then noticed another girl doing the same. The lady declined (very strange…. most people would plop into the seat without any appreciation or thanks). A couple of minutes later she got a seat. We both looked at each other several times and smiled and coincidentally both happened to get off at the same place – town hall. Since she was behind me, I gave her a bit of a helping hand off the bus. She held onto my hand.

We then got talking and exchanged telephone numbers when she suggested we keep in touch. Having parted I suddenly realized that there was a bounce to my step and that my heart felt so much lighter for the smile and touch of another person reaching out to me in genuine friendship.